Hi there.. let’s cook some chicken tonight! 😍
We Indians are very fond of smoky flavor. Baigan bharta (mashed roasted eggplant), tikkas, tandoori dishes etc makes us drool 🤤. Tandoori chicken is every non-veg-eater’s favorite, mine is, for sure😬. It isn’t very easy to cook authentic tandoori food at home so I have incorporated the smoky flavor in this dish with the basic resources available.. *patting myself on the back* 😎
Shahi gravy or curry is very rich, creamy and less spicy, so it will be light on your palate.
500 gms Chicken
1/2 cup curd
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp mustard oil
Salt to taste
4 large onions
10-12 cloves of garlic
1″ pc of ginger
8-9 whole black pepper
4-5 dried bay leaves
2 cinnamon sticks
1 star anise
3-4 green chillies
1 cup beaten curd
15-20 soaked almonds and cashews
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
3 tbsp mustard oil
1 tbsp ghee or butter
1/2 cup cream
Salt to taste
- Marinate chicken with all the ingredients for 30 mins. Overnight marination tastes better 😋
- Roughly slice the onions, garlic and ginger.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add onion garlic and ginger. Cook till the onions are translucent. Don’t caramelize. Take it off the heat add cashews & almonds and grind to a fine paste after cooling.
- Seal the chicken in the same pan on high flame. Optional.
- Now what I did to get the strong smoky flavor is I put the chicken pieces directly on high flame with the help of skewers. Forks and tongs can also be used. (I only did 1/2 of the pieces coz it’s time taking 😛 and it still worked).
- Heat rest of the oil in the pan. Add cumin, fennel, cloves, 2 bay leaves, cardamom, pepper, 1 cinnamon stick, star anise and sliced green chillies.
- Add the onion garlic paste and cook till it releases oil. Put all the chicken pieces in and mix well. Cover n cook on low flame for 5-10 mins.
- Add beaten curd, salt and red chilli powder. I experimented with another smoky element here by adding flamed cinnamon stick, bay leaves and a few cloves (caution ☠️). And by quickly covering it to capture the smoke. This took the dish to a different level. 🙂
- Cook till the gravy is thickened and chicken is done, top with ghee. Add warm cream after turning off the heat. Mix well.
- Garnish with a dash of cream and corriander.
It will taste great with Naan, an Indian flat bread. I should have clicked better pictures but I was just experimenting, never thought it will be so yummy.. *everyone patting my back* haha! 😋
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 6
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!